for more articles
Hair loss: What is it and what can be done
|Copyright 2005 Andy Casasanta
Male Pattern Baldness:
On average, there are 90,000 to 150,000 hairs on the scalp. The hairs grow from roots called follicles. Blood vessels at the base of each follicle provide nourishment vital for hair and hair growth. Hair growth in each root occurs in a cycle independent of each other. At any time about 90 percent of the hairs on the scalp are in the growth phase, while the other 10 percent are in the resting phase. The growth phase can last an average of up to five years, after which the follicle goes into a resting phase, which can last upto four months. At the end of this phase, the hair falls out and is replaced by a new hair. This is all a perfectly normal part of the growth cycle. In fact, on a typical day, up to 150 hairs can be lost. Baldness occurs when hair is lost at an unusually high rate and hair replacement occurs at an unusually slow rate and/or when normal hairs are replaced by weaker, smaller ones.
What is Male Pattern Baldness?:
Almost all cases of hair loss is the result of Male pattern baldness (or androgenetic alopecia). Male pattern baldness occurs much more frequently in men than in women. Even in mild cases It affects roughly 50 million men in the United States. Balding may begin at any age after puberty. While some types of hair loss is reversible, male pattern baldness tends to be permanent. It occurs in a very typical pattern on the scalp. Hair loss usually begins at the temples and at the top of the head toward the back, causing a receding hairline and a bald spot. Sometimes progressing further until the two sections become joined,leaving a horseshoe pattern on the sides and back of the head. Male pattern baldness progresses slowly and is not associated with any physical discomfort.
What causes male pattern baldness?:
Male pattern baldness is thought to be a combination of hormonal and genetic factors. Testosterone and its more potent derivative dihydrotestosterone (DHT) are the contributimg factors of the degree of balddness. Whatever the exact causes of male pattern baldness may be, it is hereditary. A tendency toward baldness on either side of a man's family(mother or father) indicates The speed, pattern,and degree of the balding. Usually, the earlier it begins, the more severe the hair loss will be. Balding is not caused by wearing a hat, you cant regrow hair by Massaging or brushing, or excessive shampooing stimulate hair growth. These are thought to be false. Stress may contribute to a form of hair loss, but normal everyday stress does not contribute to balding.
What are the treatment options for male pattern baldness?
-Specialty Shampoos(for example Helsinki Formula)
In hair transplants, healthy live follicles are removed from a donor site on the scalp and transplanted to the balding area. The follicles are commonly taken in "plugs" of one hair to two hairs (micrografts) from the sides or back of the head and moved to the balding area, with the hairline being slowly reconstructed. Larger plugs may be used. Donor sites with full hair make transplants more successful. Some scarring may occur. Transplanted follicles are usually permanent. Synthetic hair has also been used for transplants but has been known for to have a high rate of infection and has been been banned.As with any surgical procedure, hair transplantation present certain risks. If you are considering a transplant, consult your doctor.
A hairpiece can be custom made to cover a balding area. Hairpieces may fade and over time. It is important to clean the scalp under the hairpiece regularly. Another option is a weave, in which fake(synthetic) hair is sewn into existing hair.
This just a quick run down of what happens when most men reach a certain age. Here are a couple of sites that we have found that will educate and inform and give you everything you want to know about Male Pattern Baldness. The reviews are very positive and even might give you possible solutions to this problem that has afflicted almost every man for generations.
About the author:
Submitted Mr Andy Casasanta. The author of this article has devoted a portion of his life to health and well being for himself and others. All the subjects of his articles has effected his life in one way or another. Which has inspired him to create a tremendous health and pharmacy website. In this site you will find up to 40 health articles and growing, and a 7000 reciprocal link exchange page. Savings of up to 80% on all popular drugs. Viagra, Lipitor, meridia, and hundreds more all for pennies on the dollar. Please visit: http://www.medheadquarters.net
Circulated by Article Emporium